The Bustle Backpack from Chloe’s Spring Collection!

Every now and then, you make something you absolutely fall in love with. That for me was the Bustle Backpack! I loved it so much, I ended up making it in 4 different colors, and had to restrain myself from buying more fabric to make all the colors in the rainbow…

A while back I came across this Bustle Skirt from Simple Simon and Co.. Well, that got my juices flowing, and all I could think of was how cute that little ruffled backpack would look bouncing up and down on my daughter’s back as she runs around.

I shied away for a while from working with it, because all I could think of was how much work it would be to cut out so many darned little circles! But creativity got the better of me, and I wasn’t going to let fear keep me down from realizing my vision! Thank God I went for it, because I ended up finding out just how non-time consuming they really were…I whipped those circles out in under 10 minutes!

Chloe absolutely looooooooves her new backpack, and so do I. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the rest…maybe a giveaway?

Here we are surprising Chloe with where we are spending our evening, she wanted to wear the bustle backpack to hold her $5 that Great-Grandma had given her earlier…she thought maybe we were going to the toy store! Lol

And for your information, no we did not sneak in through the No Trespassing area! Lol

For your free tutorial to make the Bustle Backpack, click HERE.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Happy Sewing :)

Comments

This is SOOO cute! Love it! My sweet daughter needs a backpack for next year {or every month between now and then} I may just have to punch out one or more! :D Thanks!

I will be making one of these this spring. My teenage DD has called them “butt hustles” since she learned to talk and now it is just a fun joke…LOL! She saw this post and squealed! Thanks for sharing!

I found your site through pinterest :D (just found pinterest today and saw the backpack first thing!). I have a Chloe too! (Mine is 6 1/2) She LOVES yellow so I am going to try to bribe my friend into possibly making her one of these in that color! I am so looking forward to getting to browse around your blog! Thanks for such great inspiration and for sharing the tutorial!

Oh my goodness! The backpacks are tooo adorable. I can’t wait to make one. I teach at a title 1 school (2nd grade)and I’m sure the girls in my class would love a backpack like this. Awesome job and thank you for sharing :)

I am absolutely in love with this project! I don’t sew much or well, but I THINK I could try this! THINK! : ) The ruffles just make me melt. What little girl wouldn’t love one? I shared this post on my Friday Favorites today. I know a lot of my sewing friends will be trying this project. Have a great weekend and thank you for the great idea!

I actually used broadcloth for the outside, as it seems to fray just a tad less for the bustles. And then quilters cotton, or something a little bit stronger for the lining – like home decor fabric.

Hope this helps!

I have made this bag twice, and now starting a third because my youngest daughter wants one, too. I have gotten many compliments on how adorable they are. I made the first one out of XL men’s trousers I found at Goodwill and the second from an old tablecloth.
    Thank you for sharing this pattern with us!

Wondering if you could tell me how big the finished backpack is? It’s adorable, but if it doesn’t hold a standard sized folder and paper I won’t be able to make it for school use . . .

I love this bag! I’m so glad Prudent Baby linked to it! I’ve been trying to come up with the perfect little bag for my daughter to carry all the Minnie Mouse, Cinderella, Snow White, etc. figurines she got for Christmas, because the HAVE TO come to the park with us. This will be perfect, and it couldn’t be cuter!!

Hi, this looks awesome. One question, in the instructions it says to “see pattern page for instructions on cutting out the school version” but i couldn’t find the pattern page. is the school version a larger one? thanks!

Omigosh these are sooo cute! The colors are amazing. You are definitely inspirational! When I saw them I had to smile. Thanks for cheering me up!

13. Sharon says

Hi Jessica :)
    I have quite a few of your patterns and really fell in love with this bag, which I made for my only grandaughter.
    I would now like to make a couple for my etsy shop but the license link doesnt work :(
    Regards
    Sharon :)

14. Linda Mc says

This is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I have 3 great-nieces to make this for – thanks so much for the pattern!