Shirred Border Dress – Madeline’s Spring Collection Continued…

I have recently decided to take on the challenge of shirring. It didn’t seem all that hard, well let me just tell you…If I could count how many times my elastic thread broke, I would scream!

But I was going to persevere, I would not let my machine beat me! Like Tony Danza, I was going to show that machine who was boss! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! Lol

And after all the frustrations were out and in the open, the end result was a pretty darn cute dress :).

I love border fabric, they can make fabulous dresses! The one used here was Michael Miller’s Flora and Fauna Double Border Daisy Stone.

And yes, that is an extra layer of fuchsia cotton fabric popping out at the bottom, giving the skirt layers as well.

For the tutorial to make your own, click HERE.

When it comes to sewing, I am a firm believer that you have to start somewhere! If you are used to shirring, this dress will be a piece of cake for you. If it is your first time like me, there is only one way to learn! Just think – the more you try, the more you can do :).

Comments

wow! That dress is GORGEOUS!!! Can I copy it for my daughter, I mean, EXACTLY the same? I love it and your daughter seems so happy wearing it!

I think shirring can be so hard in drop-in bobbin machines….so I bought an old school metal bobbin machine at a garage sale for $5….much better. No breaking, right tension.

That is so cute! I have a drop in bobbin machine, and I just gently wrap the bobbin without pulling. I don’t have a problem with it breaking that way.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who has had trouble shirring. My machine doesn’t like the elastic thread & I have an older machine.

This turned out so cute!! I love the idea of shirring with a peasant style dress. I’m kind of relieved to hear that it isn’t super easy for everyone to shir the first time (or second or third. . . .) Love the pink peeking out too.

Okay, is it weird that I want that dress for ME? HA! If I had a daughter I would totally make her this…it so cute! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

gorgeous! i love the fabric you used! It is just perfect!
    as for shirring, I also had the hardest time at first but with the right tension, it now is actually fun to do ;-)

Very cute! That fabric is perfect! On my machine I have a separate bobbin that the tension is loosened for elastic thread… Makes things much smoother!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can’t wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

This is gorge and has reminded me that I was going to do a shirred dress for my little one this summer. I made one as my first project and it seemed wonderfully simple so I’m hoping that wasn’t just beginners luck and my new machine works as good as the old one!!!

What size of dress is this? I would love to make it but I don’t know what size for an 8 year old. Also, do you have the peasant shirt pattern?