Knot Tote Tutorial

I guess I figure if I am going to be going on a brief Maternity Leave soon, I might as well leave with a BANG! So I am hitting you up with some awesome tutorials I have had sitting on my backlog pile this week, and a couple next week as well!

We started off the week with the Pipe Dreams dress, then moved onto watercolor fabric at The Girl Creative, and now I give you this adorable knot tote which I am in love with!

I was playing around with some fabric, trying to figure out the knot shirt which I love so much (I must have watched that YouTube video like 100 times, all to no avail). So after what felt like hours of frustration, crumpled up paper, and ruined fabric, I came up with a much easier way to make this knot tote…

This little bag will take you under a half an hour to make, and you will love the results! A perfect summer bag with lighter weight materials, like the twill one here – or switch it up with some corduroy for fall! Either way, this will certainly become a go-to bag for me.

For your free tutorial and pattern pieces, click HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by everyone!

Until next time, Happy Sewing :)

***Please note, this free pattern is intended for home use only! For commercial rights, please see my shop page.

Comments

Very cute! And thanks for using google doc’s. It is way easier than any of the other stuff you have to sign up for. Especially for me, I just won’t sign up, so I never make any of them.

Super cute! I will have to check out tutorial. I am working on making a diaper bag for my sister (she is pregnant with twins). I really like the idea of having a knot on the strap. Is it adjustable to make straps longer and shorter?

This is just beautiful! I think it will be my first project for my new sewing machine tomorrow. Thanks for putting it together. Have a restful maternity leave!

I was very excited to print this tutorial and pattern out and go to town, but for some reason, it is not opening for me! When it does open, there are no images in the tutorial portion, and the pattern pieces

Whoops, the pattern piece link opens but only provides an error message “Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don’t have permission to view the document”…

Hi Smashknits –
    I found that about 5% of people tend to have trouble viewing google docs for some reason. Everyone else can access it without a problem, I haven’t been able to figure out why this is. I have it configured that anyone with the link should be able to access it.

I would like to send you the tute directly as a Word document, as well as the PDF file for the pattern pieces…but your e-mail is not linked up to your comments. So all I get is the no-reply message.

Please e-mail me your e-mail address, and I will forward along the information for the knot tote.

Thanks so much!
    - Jessica

Hi there :) I love this bag and it’s moved to the top of my sewing project list! Also, just curious…what youtube video were you looking at? I’ve tried to search it to no avail.

8. Penelope says

Hi. I made the bag yesterday, using 3/8″ seam allowances. But the finished bag is TINY. Did I have to increase the size of the pattern when I printed it out? I set the printing scale to ‘none’ as I’ve had to do on other PDF patterns. But the tiny bag is lovely … and I’m not experienced enough to adjust the pattern myself. I really want to make it again, the proper size. Can you give any advice?

9. Marloes says

I also have problems to access the instructions. Would love to make the bag. Could you email them to me?

10. Rebecca Harris says

The instructions printed perfectly but I can’t seem to get the pattern to display or print. I’m using Google Chrome on Windows 8. Any suggestions?

11. Lynda Rouse says

Hi Jess I have tried a few ways of trying to contact you but to no avail so I hope this way works. I would so like to make this bag for a friends birthday but each place where I have tried to access the pattern pieces I just keep getting an error page. I don’t mind if I have to buy the pattern but would love to make one. Please could you kindly let me know how I could get my grubby crafting paws on the pattern. Looking forward to hearing from you. Many thanks in advance. Lynda

• Lynda Rouse says

Hi Jess thanks for your reply but I don’t know what I am doing wrong but even when I click on the link you sent it comes up that the page doesn’t exist and says error 404. If its at all possible and not too much trouble maybe you wouldn’t mind emailing me the pattern? Look forward to hearing from you and my e mail is lynda_rouse @yahoo.co.uk. Many thanks Lynda

I am sorry, that is actually not possible. About a year ago my hard drive crashed and I lost everything. That includes all patterns. So my links and things I uploaded to Google Drive are all that I have. I am not sure why you cannot seem to access this Google Doc, as it is open access. But there is not much more I can do.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Lynda Rouse says

Hi Jess At last I figured out what I was doing wrong as a friend helped me . I was trying to get the pattern on a yahoo a/c and not a google a/c!!! So now I can make the bag for my friend. Thank you so much and hope you have a good weekend xx

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
    He used to be entirely right. This publish actually made my day.
    You can not consider simply how a lot time I had
    spent for this info! Thanks!

13. Sylvie says

Hello! I tryed all the Links out …. but I cant get the Pattern :-(
    I love this bag and want to sew it, can someone help me?