My New Years ReSewLution…Me Sew Crazy Patterns!

I knew my New Years ReSewLution long before I thought of this Series…

It has been a dream of mine to sell my own patterns. Before I started blogging this dream seemed so far away, one that might never come to fruition. And now I have you to thank. Because of you, all of my blogging friends, all of the encouragement, advice, and tips and tricks I have learned along the way – I am finally starting to achieve this goal.

My New Years ReSewLution is to make and sell Me Sew Crazy Patterns.

This has been probably the biggest learning curve for me. Trying to figure this all out, self teaching with Google as my guide. And it is hard work, oh my is it hard work. I used to give pattern makers credit, but not enough! Oh my goodness, creating is the EASY part!

All of the hard work it takes to make something perfect, something that you feel comfortable selling, all of the steps involved…my goodness – I had no idea! Making free tutorials, and throwing up a pattern in a single size – that is easy! HA! But putting in the time and effort to create something that will fit all variety of kids, the drafting, and the creating, and the proofing, and the pattern testing, and the re-editing, and the re-drafting. My goodness – have I mentioned before that I had no idea?!!

It actually has left me crying more than a few times, ready to give up. But here I am!

Now finding balance in what brings me joy (creating new things and sharing them with everyone), while trying to build a successful pattern shop as well (and the hard work that goes along with that)…that will be a challenge.

What you may find difficult to believe is that I have an incredibly hard time with finding BALANCE in my life. Once I get something in my head, I am like a dog with a bone. I just cant rest until it is done. I need to force myself to SLOW down.

I find great joy in creating something new on the fly, and sharing all of that free knowledge and tutorial information with you! Something I can whip together, have fun with, and relax. (In other words…hey, this fits me or my kid – hopefully it will fit you and yours too.)

So there is more to my New Years ReSewLution that just making patterns. I need to find BALANCE in it. I need to continue doing what I enjoy, the free tutorials and blogging. While balancing that with making patterns for sale. All the while, balancing those two things with my greater responsibility of taking care of my home and family.

So in order to keep this all enjoyable, I may not achieve my initial goal of a new pattern every month. (Yeah RIGHT, what was I thinking??!! HA!). But I do hope to put up a new pattern every 2 to 3 months.

It is my goal to be more like the woman of Proverbs for my family, and this Pattern Shop is hopefully the beginning of something that may help fund my children’s education someday.

So thank you again for all that you do for me, all of your support and love and kind words. Without them, I may not have gotten to this point.

With all of that being said, I would like to introduce my very first pattern…

—————————————————————–

Anna’s Ruffle Shirt Dress

The Anna Ruffle Shirt Dress e-Pattern is offered in Sizes 3 thru 8, with a customizable length. With step by step, easy to follow instructions, as well as loads of photos to help you along your way, you are sure to whip one up in no time!

The skill level is set for the ‘experienced-beginner’ and up. Without any zippers or other items that are normally reserved for a more experienced sewer, this is good for someone who knows their way around the machine.

You can find my patterns available HERE.

—————————————————————–

Thank you so much for stopping by, and until next time…Happy Sewing!

Comments

Oh my goodness! I love it! I have been working on a couple of patterns but I can’t seem to make myself take that next step towards putting them on pdf files. I just can’t get them perfect enough! You are so inspiring :-)

That is so exciting! I’m so happy for you! I hope it goes well! I can totally relate to the whole balancing problem. Although I keep thinking that making patterns is the way to go. It’s so much work up front, but then it’s pretty minimal work after that and you can keep selling them for years!

The shirt is adorable too!

ANd the shop is cute too! YAY!

Congrats on offering your first pattern for sale! May your new pattern shop be a fruitful endeavor.:)

I totally get the wish for balance. One of my promises to myself is that this year I’ll budget my time more wisely. So many things ended up falling through the cracks in 2011.

Well would ya look at that! Good job sweet lady! Balance??? Boy, I need that too, I think the important thing is to understand that…
    1. You’re awesome and He thinks so too. He carries your pic in His wallet, you’re really that groovy :0)
    2. Do the best you can today and then try a little bit harder tomorrow. Eventually it will make the difference.
    3. Put YOUR oxygen mask on first!
    4. There’s many of us out here cheering you on, and guess what? We get it, you’re not perfect and we need and struggle to find the same balance. So, at the end of the day, be kind to yourself. ((((hugs))))

Did you fill that last spot?

Great resewlution. Finding balance, and learning to grade patterns are a couple of my goals for the year. May I ask what software you are using to create your patterns (or to convert them). I’m sure that your pattern line will do really well, you’re very talented.

Congratulations! I’m really excited for you! Your tutorials are so amazing, I can only imagine how great your patterns will be! The top is so lovely.

Yay!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of pattern making!!! LOVE that top…if that’s any indication of what is to come you are going to bring it!!! :)

Jessica I am soooo excited for you!! I know this is going to be an amazing adventure for you! You are so so talented and your patterns are going to just take off.
    I love the little top you started off with! Those ruffles are fabulous. Congrats!!! :)

Congratulations! I know the write up says any fabric, but can you confirm the type…like, a light to medium weight woven? I think it might look really cute in a seersucker in pink. The look you chose is really cute but also looks practical and comfortable.

Eeeeeeeeek!! I am beyond thrilled for you. I know how much work goes into pattern design, so this is something you should be VERY proud of. You are going to do great with your new line of patterns. Congratulations!!

Hugs,
    Lindsay

It looks amazing!! And believe me I know the work that goes into drafting a pattern- no worries though it does get easier. Promise:) Thanks for letting me guest post today- I always have a blast doing it!

I know you are going to be very successful with your patterns. You create amazing pieces and I know so many people would love help in trying to re-create them for themselves. Balance is key….hopefully we can all find some in this new year!