Circle Poncho {Cotton Laminate Tutorial}…

IMG_4418

Looking for a quick rain coat for your little one? I happened to be on the market for two new raincoats since my kids outgrew their ones from a couple of years ago.

I stumbled across this adorable rainbow polka dot Sunny Skies fabric by Riley Blake in cotton laminate (my favorite), and fell head over heels…

IMG_4405

What is not to love?!

Instead of a structured rain coat, this fun and happy fabric needed a swinging style. And I was more than happy to whip something up for the youngest daughter in the house.

IMG_4416

Making one is pretty simple. Don’t be scared off by working with laminates, it isn’t as hard as you think!    I really love working with this versatile fabric.  Let me show you what I did to make this poncho.

First off, I used 1.5 yards of laminate cotton for the exterior, and an additional 1.5 yards of regular cotton for the lining.

Using a pre-existing T Shirt for sizing…

Info1

You can actually omit cutting the armholes if you don’t want to add sleeves to the poncho.  I like sleeves for my kids so they can still wear their backpacks in the rainy weather.
Info2

Info3

I always make my sleeves longer than necessary, lesson I have learned throughout the years to extend the life of your kids clothing!
Info4

Info6

info7

The great thing when you are doing all of this with the laminate is that you are working with the wrong side constantly against the sewing machine, so you don’t need to worry about the ‘sticky’ factor.
Info8

Now for the hood.  Grab a pre-existing hooded sweatshirt for pattern sizing.

Be sure to add extra room around the back and top of hoodie for pattern for a nice roomy hood.
Info5

Info9

Info10

Info11

Info12

I like using this method for hemming the sleeves as it eliminates any tricky sewing with the laminate.  Your machine is always on the cotton!
Info13

Info14

You will be thrilled with this poncho, and it will last for a couple of years (which in kid life is an eternity).  Cotton laminate can go in the washer and dryer, or better yet – just get wiped off.  How stinking cool is that?!  And with all of the absolutely fantastic designs coming out now in this fabulous fabric – you just have to try working with it for yourself!!!

Got some skills?  Try sewing an inside back panel pocket so that the poncho can fold in on itself and turn into a bag you can carry around.  You know you want to.

Later on this month I get to show off the more structured raincoat I made for my eldest daughter Chloe, using Riley Blake’s Fly a Kite laminate.  Love, love, love, love, love.

Comments

You should be able to wash it in cold (i use gentle cycle, but it doesn’t say this is necessary), and tumbly dry low.

Because of the nature in which the laminate is applied to the cotton, i reserve this for the most necessary cleaning. Opting to wipe off when possible.

What an adorable coat! I swear you’re the only sewing blog that makes things for your kids that I think, “That is way cuter than what I’ve seen in stores!” Really. Sometimes things are cute just because they are hand sewn, but yours are so far beyond that! I love the circle shape. And the fabric.

i was just saying i needed to get my 2 girls raincoats. oh and my little guy could use one too! how adorable and love the shape of it! and that fabric is fabulous!!! wish i had some to match the dresses i just made for the girls last night. once you see them you will totally see why:) the colors match perfectly!

• Kara says

You could make one in a masculine solid or print and make one for a little boy….or make a bigger one for yourself!!! ;)

Oh this is so funny. I had almost this exact poncho planned and even sketched out, thinking I’d make it for the Project Run & Play sewalong (circle skirt remix). I never got around to it, but isn’t it crazy how that happens sometimes? Love your version, thanks for posting the tutorial! Now I definitely know it works. :D

that is so funny Kristin! I have had that happen to me before too. I was just thinking, how easy would it be to use a circle for a poncho…and there you go! I had to try it :). It is definitely easier if you omit the sleeves altogether.

Super cute! I have a huge stash of oilcloth and maybe some cotton laminate, but I haven’t found a teflon foot that fits my machine. Maybe I wouldn’t need one with this?? I think it would be cozy with some flannel on the inside, too. Thanks for the ideas!! I bet you could sell a million of these at your craft fair!

So cute and so perfect.

Where on earth does a person get laminated cotton? All I ever see is oilcloth. Is laminated cotton the same thing as PUL fabric like what is used for cloth diapers?

Really fun tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I’ve been wanting to make a dressy cape/poncho for Baby Girl, so know I know how to make a lovely one for church and a fun one for when it rains. We live in the Pacific NW, so the rain poncho will get LOTS of use.

I wanna make one for my 2 1/2 yo granddaughter but I could use a little more info on how to determine the curve portion of the sleeve top. I know it’s not just random cutting. �� Same for the base of the hood. Tips?

Follow the curve of your armsleeve from the shirt you are using for pattern size. Do the same when cutting your sleeve curve, this way they will be the same size. You will need to do a little finagling when it comes to pinning the sleeve into the circle, as it is not your typical sleeve opening, more circular than arced. But it still works. Hope this helps!

It doesn’t rain much where I live, but this darling rain coat makes me wish it did! :) I would love to have an excuse to make one. Great work!

Oh my word! That is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen!!! Pinning this and maybe someday I’ll get around to making one too. :)

I love this and the raincoat… but where can I find the laminated cotton to do the coat or poncho… I live in a very rural area… all I can do is order on line.. but where…?????????????

I cut all the pieces today (I have very limited time to do things around here with three kids – haha) and tomorrow will be sewing them together. I wonder what it would look like if I made this out of a black wool material, but omit the sleeves? I bet it would be super cute with a long sleeve white top underneath and a little black pencil skirt with sparkle tights (on my little one of course!). She would look like Audrey Hepburn! I am going to do that next!

So…..I tried to make this with some normal fabric (hot pink cotton) and it didn’t turn out all that well. The sleeves were not right…..I think I need an actual pattern for sleeves lol. But without sleeves it was nicer so I am making a poncho for her without sleeves on it in hot pink, but will have to find an actual pattern to figure out one for myself….oh well haha.

I love this, thank you!
    I have been wanting to make my 3yr old daughter a pncho since she refuses to wear a coat. I want to make it thick to keep her warm was thinking fleece, what do you think?

14. Denise says

May this pattern suit for adult size? I was looking for a poncho with sleeves, but y don’t know if this would work.

15. Nicole says

Hi Jess, We live in remote Northern Territory, Australia. Its wet season here, quite monsoonal this week so yesterday our nanny asked me for some raincoats for the kids because the Drizabones are too hot. Today I cut up an old tent and made these easy little lightweight ponchos to keep the rain off. The third one only took an hour. … Put a bow at the front for the little girls with some old ribbon. Thank you for your free tips. Perfect. Of course I sourced bought ones online (lovely & professional for only $8) but figured that by the time they arrived on the mail plane in a couple of weeks it will probably have stopped raining! So grateful I didn’t have to re-invent the wheel to whip some up. Your pattern images were so good. Good work. Come visit any time!