Craft Fair Fail Update…the Next Step.

Sometimes you just need to keep walking forward in faith, not knowing where the path is going to take you. But by putting one foot in front of the other, you know you are going to get there.

I am still not sure where I am going with all of this inventory, but I am taking the next steps.

I just know deep in my heart that I want to do something BIGGER. Maybe the Craft Fair didn’t work out, but God has something in mind for me with these sewing talents. I just need to keep moving forward, and I know the path will reveal itself.

2 days after the Craft Fair debacle, I picked up all of my stuff and visited 2 local children’s boutiques. The first one, I totally chickened out on. I took one step inside of the door, and immediately convinced myself that my stuff wasn’t good enough. That this boutique was too nice, too expensive, too fru-fru for my items to belong there. So I pretended to be a shopper, walked around and looked at all the items, then high-tailed it out of there.

L-A-M-E.

Shame-faced, I completely gave myself a pep talk the entire drive to the next boutique in town. ( I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me! HA – thanks Karen!)

Figuring all I really needed was 20 seconds of courage, I walked in – went straight to the counter and asked for the owner. I just about passed out when the owner walked out from the back to talk to me! Totally tongue tied and feeling so awkward, I asked if they did consignment and explained that I sew children’s clothing and that I had a bunch of stuff in my car if she wanted to take a look at it. She did! After going back to the car and grabbing a good assortment of my goodies, in I came with a basket load of stuff.

I still felt like a total dork, walking in with this huge pink basket. But the owner actually liked my stuff! Asked me to put together an e-mail with photos and prices, and she would let me know what she wanted!

YAHOO!!!

Since then, in an effort to appear a bit less of an amateur, I put together a mini-brochure of my items. She specifically asked for BOY items, saying she is always on the look out for those (aren’t we all?!) – so I had to come up with some new things that I knew I would be able to sew on a last minute basis.

blogimage

Overall, I really love the way the 14 page brochure came out! If this is successful, I may consider keeping it up and creating one for my Spring / Fall Collections and sending brochures out to all of the local boutiques. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?!!

Anyway, I am telling you all of this because I want you to know that I am keeping my head up! I don’t like to wallow, and believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe that Craft Fair wasn’t the place for me, but God knows exactly what I am supposed to be doing. All I need to do is keeping walking and putting one foot in front of the other.

In the meantime, you just may start to see things pop up in the Etsy store!  I have some fun items that I hope you will like, and sometimes its just nice to have someone else do the sewing for you :).

Thank you so much for all of your encouragement, I will be sure to keep you all in the loop! I have been working so hard on the sidelines, and having you cheer me on has been the best support ever. You guys seriously ROCK!!!

Comments

Hi Jessica, I love your courage and honesty about the ups and downs of our businesses. Have faith and confidence in your product and get out there!
    Thank you for sharing.

please, keep on your perseverance, sometimes success takes its time to come, there is no harm in trying again and again and again, meanwhile we are waiting you newest post here (more than 2000 followers, is that not a first BIG step to your way to dreams?) I do believe in you, you will find you way. PD: your failure story and your strength make me stronger too.

Good for you! I too had a craft fair debaucle years ago. Since then I have wanted to do something with this desire to make children’s clothing. I still don’t know what my calling is. All I know is I love to create by sewing. God bless!

Why aren’t you selling those cute dyed dresses and backpacks through your blog? There has to be a way to do it with PayPal. You have a large audience plus Pinterest. Can’t hurt, plus I would think it would be quite inexpensive. Also, most boutiques double (at least) the wholesale price to get a retail price.

I meant to comment on your other post but I was so busy getting ready for quilt market, I totally didn’t get a chance. My guess is that craft fair just wasn’t the right fit for you. I think it takes some trial and error to find the one that has the right audience for your things. I wouldn’t give up on that entirely either! And yes, I agree with Georgine, most shops will want to double the wholesale price and if you are looking toward the future and consider having reps./distributors, they will want the product for even less than wholesale. Definitely something to take into account when setting your retail pricing. So take retail price divided in half to get wholesale and then take 20-35% off of that to get wholesale distribution cost. You want to make sure you are still making money once you figure out wholesale / wholesale distribution cost. Anyway, I KNOW there are great things ahead for you – I have no doubt. With your talent, attitude and skills there is a definite path for you that will be amazing!!

What a great idea! And I hope you put some stuff in your shop, like a few of your cute scarves. I loved the plaid/checked ones! I think they were in pink and blue.
    Good luck!

Good for you, Jessica! I’ve done the craft fair thing also and with limited or no success — Etsy has worked much better for me and the wholesale/consignments I’ve done have been successful also. BEST OF LUCK in your new adventure!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE your blog! You are such an inspiration. I have done craft shows, some good, some awful. I have an esty shop and do relatively ok considering it’s really just a part-time gig. But I would LOVE to get into a boutique or two. Thanks so much for sharing the brochure idea! I so have to steal that. :-) Good luck!

Way to go! I want to see more of your brochure!! Love your movie references and I’m not sure if you want your actual entire phone number posted online, unless it’s commmercial line. :)

Thanks so much for sharing the ups & downs! Good for you for having the courage to keep going! Your stuff is sooo pretty I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t do well. The brochure is a great idea. keep us posted on your sales :)

It takes courage to do what you did, so hooray!!! Glad they wanted to see your items, and I am saying a prayer that it will be a success. You are so wise to seek God first :)

I have so much respect for you and what you do. It did take courage to walk in there and not know what the reaction would be. But you tried and you prevailed. I think the catalog was a great idea…so great for the boutique owners to referece!! I know you will be successful!!