An Explanation…

Many of you might be wondering, where the heck is the Fall Collection already???

It is of the saddest news that I have to report my external hard drive went kaput.

What does this mean? Every single photo I have taken, every single pattern I have made, and every single thing I have basically done for the last 3 years could be gone…just like that…in the blink of an eye.

To say I am devastated is an understatement. With the loss of Kodak Gallery, everything was supposed to have been moved to Shutterfly. One photo of mine was…one.

What do I still have? Photos that I posted on the blog within the last 2 years, as they are automatically saved to Picassa. I am thankful for that. But naturally there are so many special moments, private family moments that were captured – like the birth of our second daughter and son which are now just gone.

And of course, that is not even to mention all of the hard work that I have done creating patterns to share, pattern to sell, and tutorials and photos…gone. Just like that.

I have cried over this a couple of times, mainly because I worked my butt off. I am not kidding you. I toiled over this all Summer long in every-single-free-moment I had, preparing the Fall Collection. I busted my butt, saying that come September I would have some free time again. I was so proud of it, I had finally digitalized everything. And just when I had finished editing my almost last photoshoot. It was gone. Just like that. Gone.

Although I am still holding out hope, as my hard drive has been with an IT guru for the past 2 weeks, I am just giving you an explanation as to why I have been so silent the last week or so. I am holding my breath and praying for the best.

Because although I am devastated to lose all of my hard work, to lose my photos would be an absolute tragedy for me.

Please know I appreciate your comforting words and encouragement, and that I am indeed at peace. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt – but I am at peace with it one way or the other.

As soon as I know more, I will let you know!

Comments

Oh no!! I am so sorry. :( I’m hoping the IT guys and gals can work some serious magic for you!! Can you still access pictures and patterns through your blog? (not the ones you haven’t posted yet).

Jessica, I feel your pain. My laptop was stolen at the airport in the Philippines on our way back to Germany. I cried my eyes out right from the moment I realized I’ll never have my laptop back. I didn’t care about the laptop. What I cried so hard about are the videos and photos of me and my husband (not to mention our trips to different European countries) and especially those of my daughter.

I’m hoping that the IT people working on your hard disk will recover your files successfully.

Oh. Jessica, I am so so sorry!!! It can take a while, but they can usually recover something!!!
    Hubs is a CSE, I am so thankful because he has set up our back up drives, carbonite, etc… I lost 2 hard drives last summer, had it not been for his vigilance I would have had clients with no pictures.
    Good luck, I’ll be praying that they can save EVERYTHING!
    ~Suzanne

I feel your pain, that also happened to me, I lost the birth pictures of my 2nd child. I am so sorry and I hope the IT guys are able to save your Pictures.

So sorry to hear that, but I am hopeful that your pictures and patterns will be able to be retrieved. You’ve given a good reminder to everyone to back things up multiple times. I will be praying to see some good news soon about your pictures.

Jessica, I’m so sorry. I had a similar experience earlier this year. Luckily, I had a lot of pictures uploaded to flickr but marked private but there will still several important ones that are completely gone. I recently started using Backblaze to back up the files on my computer after a post on the Oliver + S forums.

I hope that the IT people are able to retrieve your pictures!

Cindy

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know all too well about the loss of family photos. My mom had all of our stuff in storage because we were relocating. The storage was broken into and all of our baby photos were gone. After my daughter was a year old someone broke into my car. I had nothing of value in my car but a picture album of my daughters baby shower, birth, etc. Someone just stole it. I hope they can retrieve your things because it is a terrible loss.

I was really hoping that it would have been fixed. I was so sad when you emailed me and told me. I hope they can fix it, or at least get back the pictures of the little girl and little mans first everythings. Good luck! Fingers crossed.

I need to first send you a virtual hug and then a big thank you for this post. I know it is a horrible thing, and I am hoping and praying that the gurus are able to retrieve everything for you.
    The big thank you is for the reminder to all of us, who always think ‘what if…’ and follow that by, ‘I really need to cover my butt and get things backed up.’ I am one of those and I have heard such horror stories like yours and still haven’t moved forward with the, ‘I have to….’ I think first is because the truth of the matter is I can sew anything you can think of, but I am no techy..’ I still am not sure what the best back up or back ups are to use. So, I guess I start that search today and start backing up ASAP. I so hope you get everything back….♥
    ~Louise

OH NO!!!!!!!! Best of IT thoughts to your guru. We had a similar incident last year (but it was totally my fault as I spilled an ENTIRE cup of water on our laptop—the only computer where we had Photoshop–and therefore all our pictures).

The IT guy got them back but it was a super stressful week.

PLEASE let it work!!!!

OH my gosh Jessica! I’m so sorry. I know that feeling so well and it is not very pleasant at all. I’ve always been extremely vigiliant in backing my computer up two different ways as well as keeping a copy of the entire hard drive written to DVD’s and stored in our fireproof safe just in case of a fire. In my old job I had to do the backups and one went into a floor safe and a 2nd copy was given to the owner which he took home to store off site which is the best policy to have.

About 10 yrs ago I took the video tape to a photography store to have them convert it over to a DVD for me. I am still extremely sad over the news they gave me that there was nothing there any longer. I couldn’t believe that and to say I was devistated is an understatement because on that tape was the only record I had of my twin’s first birthday party. I taped the entire party and never took any pictures so I have nothing from that day. I can’t imagine losing everything. I will keep my fingers crossed for your IT guy to be able to pull all your family photos off the hard drive for sure but really do hope he can retrieve it all for you. Big hugs as I’m sure you need those too.

:( I don’t know if this would be helpful, but if the IT guy has no luck I have a photography teacher who has 100% sucess recovering harddrives (or so he says). I can give you his info!

Jessica, this happened to me a couple of years ago. My computer crashed, everything got erased, and nothing could be saved. It broke my heart. There were photos of Dan with the kids on there that are lost forever. Unfortunately there weren’t very many of Charlotte with him in existence because he left for Iraq when she was a tiny baby. So each of those were super precious to me, and they were just gone. I am praying HARD that the photos and patterns can all be recovered, but if they can’t, just know that it’ll be ok. The photos may be gone but the memories are still there, and as long as you keep those memories alive that’s all that matters!

Here’s hoping that your guy can fix it. Mac or PC?

And while I’m here – take a look at Backblaze. I use them because they’re the only people I could find that would affordably back up all my stuff, up to and including my external drives (I have about 3 – 4 TB (that’s terabytes) of data that I need backed up), and they cost $5/month/computer. (I’m not affiliated with them or anything.)

How devastating! Here’s hoping the IT guy can retrieve your photos, etc!!! I can relate because we lost all the photos on our computer years back (stolen out of our home) although it was pre-children, but still, all digital wedding and honeymoon photos were gone.

Oh no! I understand the feeling… my hard drive went out last year. We brought it in to a computer shop, but instead of trying to find the pictures, they lost it. Still super sad about it. =(
    I hope your pictures will all be recovered!

Awww Jessica, my heart is just breaking for you! I completely understand how you feel – it would be so hard to let that work go – but even worse to have all the photos gone. :( I’ll be thinking about you! I hope you hear something soon!

That happened to me last spring.. our hard drive died tragically and we lost TONS of special photos from the last five years. We ended up having to pay $2,000 to Geek Squad for them to recover our files and put them on a new hard drive. It was SO HARD to pay that kind of money, but because our life was in those photos, we handed over the funds. It was one of the hardest decisions we’ve had to make but I’m confident we made the right choice. I hope they can recover your files, but I thought I’d just warn you that you may have to pay an arm and a leg to get them back. :(

oh no! That is just awful! I am sorry. I hope that the tech guy fixes everything, but if he doesn’t maybe God is just giving you an opportunity to push yourself even more and to exceed your own expectations. I understand though, I have a hard drive with about 5,000 pictures on there from my family’s 4 years in our first house and somehow it just doesn’t work. all gone. I cried also. I feel your pain.

Reyna

Oh jess! I would be crying too! We’ve had 3 laptops die and 1 desktop that could not be revived in the past 6 years. I always upload pics onto facebook or shutterfly (used to do kodakgallery). Then when I see a deal on prints i go through and print things i’ve been holding out on. I see it as this: its much more likely for a computer or hard drive to hit the dust than for a flash flood to take over my home and lose all my prints. It may not be organized or pretty, but if my hard drive or computer dies, I know i have a copy of my very favorite pictures safe and sound. Have you tried contacting the kodakgallery people about getting your pictures? They are probably in some storage space somewhere on their computers!