Goodship Dress by Circus Wear, a Very Go To Christmas

Having been a fan of Karen LePage’s work since her book was released last year, co-authored with Shelly Figueroa Sewing For Boys, it was no surprise to me when I fell in love with her very first pdf pattern.  The Goodship Dress by Circus Wear is quite simply, stunning.

That being said, I was thrilled when Andrea of Go To Patterns asked me to be a part of her Very Go To Christmas Series.

Could I try out the Goodship Dress?  Heck yeah!

The pattern was quite possibly one of my favorites to ever work with.  It was easy to follow, with exact instructions and great illustrations – but it wasn’t overdone.  I was able to sew this dress up in 1 morning during a nap time – which in my opinion is really saying something.  The pattern even had some fantastic technique tips that I was really excited to learn and have already put into good use with my other sewing projects!  Perfect for any little girl on your list between the ages of 2 thru 14.  That’s right - fourteen.

Of course it looks a little wonky in the photos because my daughter naturally loves the pockets the most, which means she immediately put her hands in them and started trying to pull the dress apart.  HA!

But I am personally fond of the gorgeous soft wool fabric I splurged on with a 40% off coupon, to make the dress more seasonally appropriate. And of course the Sarah Jane Out to Sea fabric *sigh*, love.

The Goodship Dress by Circus Wear receives nothing but the highest praise from me.  Seriously, love it. Wear it in the Summer sleeveless, or put a long sleeve shirt underneath it for Winter wear! Furthermore, the dress will grow with your child and last for more than a couple years thanks to the generous pleat and bow detail in front.  This dress is so worth the price, you will use it over and over again!  Well, at least I know I will :).

The Goodship Dress by Circus Wear can be found at Go To Patterns.

Comments

I love the dress, gorgeous! And I can’t tear myself away from Sew Fine Fabrics – so many great choices, and surprisingly affordable! I favorited them on Etsy. I think I found a new fav fabric store.
    -Jen

Love this pattern, just bought it yesterday. Can’t wait to make it with the MM Out to Sea collection. I love how you added a wool outer layer for the winter!

I don’t have children and none to make for, but I love all of the design details and always look for inspiration for a sleeve or pleat or something that I can save away to use one day in the future project. Thanks fo the giveaway.

So so cute! Looks like such a fun one for a little gal to wear, too. Love the “unicorn whale” fabric (my daughter has been wearing her narwhal dress a lot after we showed her Elf for the first time recently). ;)

I just love that Goodship dress! So adorable! My 4 year old granddaughter is a tomboy and refuses to wear a dress, but her 5 month old baby sister will surely be a girly-girl if my daughter has anything to do with it, so maybe there is hope yet, and I can make one for her!

I adore this dress, and it looks like such a versatile pattern to use over and over with minor changes. It looks so stylish and trend setting, in an understated way.

7. Susan says

Hi Love the dress I’m actually trying to finish one but can’t work out how to put the panel on the front in. I have emailed the designer but no response in a week so hoping you can help me with some tips so I can finish it off for a birthday present. Regards, Susan

• Jess says

Hello Susan –
      I have just e-mailed the designer your question. I sewed this a while ago, and really don’t remember how it was constructed – without finding my ePattern book and researching it for you. I believe she will get back to you soon. Thank you, it truly is a lovely dress! – Jess

8. ann baughman says

I, too, am very confused as to the construction of the front panel. The instructions are very vague. I have spent several days trying to get it to work as shown and wasted some good material. And I am not a novice sewer!
    It is a very cute dress and looks like it would be easy to make. The front panel is sewn in and then pleated as per instructions but then the top of the pleat isn’t secured in any way.
    Any suggestions as to a remedy? Hate to throw this pattern away but may have to do so.

• Jess says

If you feel the need to secure it, more than with just the tie, a thought might be a simple hook and eye closure on either side of the center pleat! That would add a little bit of extra security, while keeping with the design and integrity of the dress. Just a thought…