The Elegant Jeans and Tee Look – Burda

IMG_4335

For the final look for Project Sewn, we were meant to come up with our ‘Signature Style’. How does one come up with a signature style when they typically wear jeans and a tee shirt every day? So I decided to put a twist on the classic ho-hum look.

The look that didn’t make it.

IMG_4305

IMG_4318

IMG_4328

IMG_4330

I used the Burda High Waist Trousers 02/2013 #119 Pattern , making them out of a light-weight denim that I distressed in some places very carefully with a serrated knife. I absolutely adore the elegant high waist on this fun pattern, that comes apart on the sides to give it true character.

I did feel that the pants needed a little something to cover up my I’ve-had-3-babies-belly-pooch, which is why I added the braided jean belt. Keeps the pants looking slim, and covers in the exact area I wanted hidden.

IMG_4438

IMG_4416

Lastly, I added the cuffs on the bottom of the pants. This is really just the same denim turned inside out.

The top is based on a shirt I already own, which I simply imitated using a super soft polyester ivory fabric. I love how it drapes around me, and adds to the dressed up jeans. I am also a firm believer that if you…

Add a pair of red high heels to any outfit, you can conquer the world.

Just saying.

IMG_4396

So that’s the outfit you did NOT see on Project Sewn. Why? Well, because as anyone who has worn welt pocket pants before can attest, those pockets tend to pull apart funny in certain poses. And I didn’t want to hear ‘The pants don’t fit right in the crotch area’ based on the photos alone. The pants fit great, and I highly recommend them!

The Photoshoot

These pictures were taken at a local landmark here in Virginia Beach called the ‘Thoroughgood House’. I was driving trying to find my way there, when I had to look up the address in Google. What pops up? The haunted Thoroughgood House. The what?!! I am completely freaked out by that kind of stuff. But I had been there numerous times before, and never heard of this rumor so I decided to keep my path straight.

It is sunset, and I was completely alone. At first I thought it was great, because for once I wouldn’t have to worry about gawkers. 30 minutes later, not so great, because I was too dang worried over every bird tweeting and squirrel’s broken twig noise. Completely freaked out, and being eaten up by mosquitoes. I hightailed it on out of there, and remembered to take others with me next time I decided to go back to that photo location! Yikes – heeby jeebies.

IMG_4429

Thank you so much again to all who voted for me throughout the Project Sewn competition. Your support meant the world to me. Making it to the final three was a true honor.

And PS – things I do not want to hear on this post’s comments…’if you had used this as your final 3 look, I would have voted for you!’. Lol – don’t stick the knife in. Ha! Cirque du Bebe’s final look was completely amazing and deserved to win :).

Comments

1. Kelly Aubert says

That is the cutest outfit ever! I’ve only had two babies and I think I’d need a bigger belt though! Lol! You are adorable!!

• Jess says

Lol – you are too funny Kelly! My youngest is almost 2 years, I have had a bit of time to get back to almost normal. almost. Some things never go away. hello once piece bathing suits :)

• Jess says

I wasn’t planning on it – it is pretty much as simple as it seems – jeans that I turned into right side out tubes, and braided together :). Thanks so much!

I love this outfit! Way to rock a signature style! Jeans and a t-shirt is pretty much my weekend uniform also, but a pair of jeans like this would certainly take it up a notch!

• Jess says

Thanks so much Katie!!! I was starting to worry today though when I was sweating a bit as the humidity increases for Summer…may be that time of year to put the jeans away for a bit :). Always look forward to Autumn for that very reason!

• Jess says

Thanks so much Caroline!!! Hope you had fun at Disney!!! I need to see what you have been up to post-PS

3. kelly says

I actually did vote for your final outfit/signature look! But I’d have voted for this one too- gorgeous! I LOVE the pants!

Haunted houses and graveyards freak me out. I think you made the right choice with your signature style too but am also really impressed that you made jeans!

This is so lovely! I think the separates are great and I hope you’ve got them both in regular wardrobe rotation now that PS is over!

I really love that braided belt Jessica! I think the vertical welt pockets are going to come open on any pants. I would blame the pattern design for that. I love the forties look of those pants and that top is great. I’ve been curious about that Burda pants pattern. High waists are looking so modern again.

I love this look! I totally know what you mean about welt pockets though. I cannot wear them if they’re vertically. They pop out constantly. You look amazing in these high waisters. Great job! (And I did totally vote for you anyway hehe)

8. Launa says

I LOVE this look. I’m really frustrated because this pattern doesn’t come in my size. Burda needs to make more of the same patterns available in what they consider a “plus” size. I do not shop in the plus department at the store, but their measurements state I need a plus pattern. I have yet to like any of their plus patterns. This pattern would be very flattering on me. It’s a shame.

Bravo to you, though! Your take on this pattern is so much more appealing than what Burda has pictured on the pattern page. The distressed denim and the braided belt really make it! It would look fantastic as a capri, too.

These are really fantastic!! I think the belting is the perfect touch!! After four kiddies that’s my trouble (though I hesitate to use that word) area, too. Really great job!