I am on a total mint and cranberry kick right now, and when I saw this gorgeous minty-teal eyelet at the Fabric Store, I knew I had to have it! There is just something about eyelet that I love, how it can be vintage, feminine, classy, yet appealing all at the same time. And figuring out ways to mix it into my wardrobe is a must.
And just like the peek-a-boo eyelet skirt I made last month, I wanted to follow suit with a fun dress.
To make this dress I used the Burda Peplum Top pattern, with dress variation.
As always with Burda Patterns, the fit is fantastic. I love how flattering the skirt is as it pulls into the body and flairs out. And because it is Peplum style, it hits at just the right place on my stomach. The cap sleeves are fantastic, and I absolutely adore the back bodice seam and how it dips down so that it hits lower.
At first I was going to do a much different contrasting fabric underneath. A darker green to give the dress a bit of ‘pop’. But once I started playing around with the different fabrics, the lighter fabric just really grabbed my attention. It made it softer somehow, and allowed for me to pair this gorgeous dress with a lot more belt options to change up the look.
I think this dress would look absolutely fabulous in a black and white version though…if I have a fancy event come my way, I just may need to do that. Can you imagine it? Would be gorgeous!!!
I love the twirl factor in this dress, and would adore seeing it spin across a dance floor.
Although I muted down the lining fabric color, I decided to stick with my eye catching zipper color. I love the surprise it brings to the back of the dress, its unexpected and I love that.
Now, how did I go about lining this dress so that I didn’t need to worry about coverage?
I used the Burda Pattern, and simply chopped off the top shoulders. I made sure to do it in a place where I knew my bra would still be covered – so it is very modest.
From there, I simply finished the top of my lining bodice pieces by turning them towards the wrong side 1/4″ and Pressing, then turning under again 1/4″ and Pressing. Stitch.
Then basted them to the actual full size eyelet pattern pieces. And sewed as normal.
Please note – when sewing patterns, I almost NEVER follow their instructions. I do what’s best for me and my personal sewing. For example, I did not use any facings on this dress, as the eyelet wouldn’t allow for it. So to sew this dress, once it was basted, I simply sewed the darts. Then sewed the side seams – making sure everything matches and was lined up. I then hemmed by cap sleeves, sewed the shoulder seams together, and added my cap sleeve. I then set it aside and started on my skirt.
The skirt too has a lining, which I opted to make much shorter than the eyelet outer layer. I felt this added a bit of youth to the dress. But of course that is completely optional. I do recommend making it a tad shorter though, at the very least, to give the dress more depth. To do this, I simply cut the ‘lining’ pieces shorter then the exterior pattern pieces. I chopped off a good 8-9″ or so all around.
Basting the skirt pieces together only at the top (not all around). Sew them to the bodice as you normally would, add your Zipper to the back seam, finish sewing the back seam, and hem both skirt pieces. Finish your neckline, and you are done.
A fun eyelet dress, or technique, that you can adopt to loads of dress patterns.
Go ahead and have some fun with it!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by, and until next time…