I love the look of boyfriend jeans, but not the price tag that usually goes with them. Justine of the Sewing Rabbit Team is here today showing off how she turned a pair of old men’s jeans and upcycled them into this adorable pair of boyfriend jeans for her! I am pretty much running to the thrift store after reading this to make my own pair. Love it!
DIY Boyfriend Jeans
I saw some boyfriend jeans with a side stripe sort of like these……
One Teaspoon jeans (148$)
Then I saw these jeans by Glory ( $248)…..
So I did what any self respecting DIY blogger would do. I went to the thrift shop to try to make my own!
I found some men’s jeans that looked pretty cool. Actually, they were by Diesel so that was a real score for $ 5.99. I took my tape measure and made sure they were going to fit with some ease in the waist and hips. I think boyfriend jeans are way cooler when they are actually MEN’S JEANS. But the fit wasn’t quite right so I had to do some adjustments. It easy enough to do to get the right look which is baggy at the hips, but then tapered in at the ankle with a little cuff.
I took them home and did some distressing . I sewed darning stitches all over them to make them look like they had been mended. There was actually one hole but it looks like several have been patched now.
Then, I dunked them in a black dye bath while they were dry. They came out sort of mottled. I’d probably skip that part if I made them again.
They were too long so I would have big thick cuffs when I rolled them up. They would need to be hemmed to my ankle. Then when I rolled them up they wouldn’t be too bulky.
Also, the bottom of the pants looked too, well, boyish! I would need to taper them a little to get the right look when I rolled them up.
I cut off the excess length. I drew in a new side seam making sure it wasn’t going to be too tight. I measured my calf and added 1.5 inches ease so it could still be rolled up. I drew the side seam up until just below the knee.
I sewed the new side seam, unpicked the old seam and pressed the seam flat.
I used my serger to trim and finish the new seam allowance. But a zig zag stitch would also work.
Then I folded the hem over 1/4 inch pressed it, then folded it over another 1/2 inch, sewing it.
Of course being the trim hound I am, I couldn’t leave well enough alone. I had some trims from the theater lying nearby, so I used a little on my side seams. It reminded me of Mariachi pants. I love Mariachi pants!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…