Looking for a fun way to give your shoes a POP of color? How about replacing the boring white shoelaces with your favorite fabric! This simple and easy sewing DIY will have your kids smiling in no time – as their shoes become instantly more colorful in just 10 minutes. You can even make the aglets! All you need is 1/4 yard of fabric, and some scrap iron-on vinyl to get started.
Let me show you how.
- 1/4 yd. Quilting Cotton Fabric
- Scrap iron-on Vinyl
- Basic Sewing Essentials
- Gather supplies as listed above.
- Cut (2) fabric strips of 1.5″ L x Width of Fabric (selvage to selvage). *Optional, you may cut these strips on the bias if desired. You will simply need more fabric in order to have one continuous smooth cut, without having seams in the middle of the tie.
- Fold strip in half right sides together, with the long raw edges matching up. Pin. Repeat for other strip.
- Sew along long edge, using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Repeat for other strip.
- Attach a small safety pin to one edge of the fabric strip.
- Slip the safety pin inside the fabric tube, and gently work its way towards the other end. Repeat for other fabric strip.
- Trim fabric strip to desired length, based on shoe you are using and allotting for the bow tie. Pinch the ends together in your fingers. It helps to fold it tightly.
- Cut a small .75″ L x 2″W piece of iron on vinyl, and wrap tightly around the end of your pinched fabric strip. Following the instructions on the iron-on vinyl package, press vinyl to secure in place.
- Trim ends of vinyl for a nice, smooth edge. Repeat for all fabric strip ends, and you are finished!
Lace through your shoes and enjoy!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…